PEST-PROOFING IS KEY TO PROTECTING THE HOME FROM SUMMERTIME PESTS
Rose Pest Solutions Chicago shares quick tips to keep common household pests outdoors
The arrival of warmer weather also signals the arrival of the most active season for common pests such as wasps, mosquitoes, flies and ants. To prevent these pests from becoming unwanted home intruders during the summer months, Rose Pest Solutions Chicago, encourages homeowners to pest-proof around the property.
Warm weather wakes up pests
“As the warmer weather serves as a wake-up call to numerous pests, its important for homeowners to spend a few hours pest-proofing the inside and outside of their homes,” said Rich Smith, Director of Pest Control Services for Rose Pest Solutions. “Even small tasks like keeping shrubbery well-trimmed and mending ripped screens can go a long way in preventing pests from finding entry points into the home.”
The National Pest Management Association (NPMA), a nonprofit organization committed to the protection of public health, food and property from household pests, recommends a number of methods to keep pests outside where they belong.
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Screen windows and seal potential entryways, repairing any rips or tears in screens.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around basement foundation and windows.
- Cut tree branches and plants so that they do not reach too close to the house.
- Removing sources of moisture or standing water, including bird baths and in clogged gutters.
- Repair fascia and rotted roof shingles; some insects are drawn to deteriorating wood.
“If you find any signs of an infestation after a thorough inspection of your home, contact a pest professional who can help identify and treat the problem,” added Smith.
Chicagoland Mosquito Control
Perhaps one of the most dreaded summer pests, the mosquito, is already thriving and biting this year from all the rainfall we had recently. Mosquitoes are more than a nuisance though. They’re a health risk; disease spreaders. And they keep getting stronger each year they return as temperatures climb because of all of the pesticides regularly used on them. Breeds are becoming resistant. Disease reports are increasing. It’s time to take this seriously and start thinking about how you’ll protect yourself and your family…even your pets! We have solutions for Chicagoland mosquito control!
The Threat of West Nile Virus
The CDC offers the following tips on avoiding West Nile Virus:
The easiest and best way to avoid WNV is to prevent mosquito bites.
- When you are outdoors, use insect repellent containing an EPA-registered active ingredient. Follow the directions on the package.
- Many mosquitoes are most active at dusk and dawn. Be sure to use insect repellent and wear long sleeves and pants at these times or consider staying indoors during these hours.
- Make sure you have good screens on your windows and doors to keep mosquitoes out.
- Get rid of mosquito breeding sites by emptying standing water from flower pots, buckets and barrels. Change the water in pet dishes and replace the water in bird baths weekly. Drill holes in tire swings so water drains out. Keep children’s wading pools empty and on their sides when they aren’t being used.
Home Mosquito Control
Our Home Mosquito Control Program minimizes mosquito populations and reduces the risk of insect born disease. West Nile Virus is very dangerous and poses a deadly risk to humans of all ages. Cases in the Midwest increased dramatically in 2012. Don’t let your family and friends go outdoors unprotected!
We offer two program options to suit your needs.
- A scheduled service every three weeks throughout mosquito season is a worry-free way to get your yard back this year. You don’t even need to be home when we complete this service for you!
- One-time mosquito control treatments are great for outdoor parties, graduations, weddings, company picnics and more. “Green” products can also be substituted for conventional products for both program options.
When you schedule your initial inspection, we will identify breeding zones, work with you to reduce your risks, and put together a personalized program to meet your needs and concerns. Protect yourself and your family. Don’t let mosquitoes ruin your outdoor fun this year!
GET YOUR YARD BACK!
For more information on common summer pests, please do not hesitate to contact us. A professional is just a call or click away!