Termite Awareness Week draws to a close with Part 3 of our popular series. This time we’re tackling termite control and termite prevention. If you missed either of the earlier pieces, we highly recommend checking out Welcome to Termite Awareness Week and Part 2: Termite Information and Termite Inspection before continuing with Part 3: Termite Control and Termite Prevention.
Termite Control, also referred to as Termite Treatment, centers on curative and preventive solutions to deal with your termite issues and also prevent future invasions. The two most popular options are Termidor (the conventional liquid termite treatment) and Sentricon (a chemical-free green baiting system).
Termidor: America’s #1 conventional termite treatment and has been used for decades by certified pest professionals like Rose to eliminate termite colonies, but installation of the liquid treatment can be invasive.Sentricon: Dow Agro Science’s proven colony elimination system and is a completely green solution that uses a tried and true chemical-free baiting system.
As you know by now, Termite Awareness Week is promoted by our friend’s at the National Pest Management Association (NPMA), so here are some great termite prevention tips from them and the Professional Pest Management Alliance (PPMA):
- Divert water away from your home’s foundation by installing properly functioning downspouts, gutters and splash blocks.
- Reduce humidity in crawl spaces with proper ventilation.
- Trim vines, hedges and other vegetation to prevent them from blocking vents.
- Remove old form boards, grade stakes, tree trunks and roots near a building, as they may attract termites.
- Maintain an 18-inch gap between soil and any wood portions of your home.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and 5 inches off the ground. Check it for pests before bringing it indoors.
- Routinely inspect the foundation of your home for signs of termite damage.
Dr. Jim Fredericks, Chief Entomologist for the NPMA, is back with Ask the Pest Professor segment talking about more easy Termite Prevention tips:
This concludes Termite Awareness Week, but the Rose Chicago Pest Control Blog is regularly being updated with all kinds of helpful pest information and tips. Sign-up for Email Updates with the box to the right!