Cooler temperatures make pests like cockroaches, spiders, mice and rats look for warm, dry places for protection from the winter months. Attics and basements are common areas for pests because they’re usually where we don’t spend a whole lot of time when we’re at home. They prefer to be undisturbed until they get hungry and venture into those more frequently used spaces where we spend our time. That’s too close for comfort for most. And rightfully so! Pests can spread diseases to humans and pets, and also pose serious property risks to homeowners, making prevention paramount to keeping a healthy home.
6 Keys to Pest Proofing This Holiday Season
To avoid having pests take up residence this winter, the pros at Rose recommend following these pest-proofing tips from the National Pest Management Association (NPMA):
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home, including where utilities enter.
- Replace loose mortar around the basement foundation and worn weather stripping around windows.
- Screen vents to chimneys and repair damaged screens.
- Maintain well-organized storage areas, placing items in sealed plastic bins off of the floor.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet from the home on a raised cement structure
- Keep branches and shrubbery trimmed away from the home.
Holidays are about so much more than pest-proofing, so we wanted to include a super yummy, yet on-brand, holiday treat recipe for you to make during the most wonderful time of year with YOUR loved ones!
Happy Pest-Free Holidays!
From our family to yours, we hope you have a wonderful holiday season filled with laughter, smiles, and so much fun! And remember we’re here for you if you encounter any unexpected pest issues this winter! Stay warm!
Your Friends at Rose Pest Solutions