Although we celebrate Pest Management Awareness month every April, this one shines with extra importance as we honor and give thanks to the essential pest control professionals that are working hard to keep our health and well-being protected. As we learn to navigate through COVID-19, keeping public health, food, and property safe from disease-carrying pests is still Rose Pest Solutions’ number one priority. The pest control industry will continue to provide the essential pest services necessary to keep our communities, food supplies, and health safe.
During this time, it is of utmost importance for us to be working together and following the CDC’s guidelines for COVID-19. Help flatten the curve by following social distancing rules and staying in your home. For some of us, staying locked in your home for extended periods of time may be ideal, for others that crave a busy social schedule, cabin fever may have set in day 2 of quarantine. Together with our partners, we have compiled an online list of free, educational, and stress relieving resources. If you’ve found yourself needing a break from staring into a screen and craving something a little more tactile, why not use this time to pest-proof your home?
Drastic changes in our environment will have pests seeking new environments to meet their needs. More than just a nuisance, pests such as cockroaches, mice, and even flies are capable of spreading disease, food-borne pathogens, and causing asthmatic reactions. Pest-proofing your home is a vital aspect of protecting your overall health.
We have highlighted the usual spring invaders below so you have a reference to help identify what unwelcome guest you may be quarantined with. Click on the listed pest for additional resources.
- Rodents are known for spreading disease, bacteria, and hantavirus and usually enter homes through unsealed cracks and crevices (Mice can contort their bodies to fit through a hole the size of a dime).
- Mosquitoes will become active and eggs will hatch as soon as the weather rises about 50 degrees.
- Ants are capable of spreading bacteria through food contamination.
- Cockroaches spread illness and trigger allergy and asthma reactions. These pests prefer filth but with their lack of dietary restrictions, you can find them anywhere.
- Termites AKA “Silent Destroyers” for their abilities to eat your investment from the inside out before you even notice structural damage.
- Wasps and hornets will commonly be found around porches, sheds, and other types of awnings. With a strong risk of being stung, over, and over, and over again, these pests and their nests are best left to the professionals.
If you have questions about any of the following pests, feel free to reach out to us for more information at 800-GOT-PESTS?. If you found a pest that’s not listed here, feel free to use our pest library to identify it. It’s important to feel safe in your own home. We are here to ensure that. Stay safe.