As our community adapts to the seasonal changes, so do the pests. Cooler temperatures make sleeping outside less appealing than the warmth that your home gives off as fall breezes settle in. Rose Pest Solutions wants to make sure that mice aren’t following you in while you’re packing up your yard decorations.
Mickey Mouse is a fun-loving dream version of the rodents we face today around our homes and businesses. Here to claim new stardom are more tenacious chewers like NYC Pizza Rat. Much like younger, tech-savvy humans, these furry pests are hungrier for access to everything. Having learned so much from previous generations, they know that just a little more persistence can get them into places they wouldn’t have access to otherwise. Don’t let pushy rodents over-take your home!
Best Way to Get Rid of Mice
In honor of rodent awareness week, Rose Pest Solutions has put together a list to help get rid of mice and rats and keep them out. Throughout the week through Facebook and Twitter we have been providing you with rodent statistics, tips on preventative rodent control and stress-relieving anecdotes. Similar to cockroaches, rodents travel in packs, meaning there is no such thing as 1 mouse.
*Fact: a group of mice is a called a nest and a group of rats is called a mischief
Mice can Cause Fires by Chewing
Rodent’s teeth grow at rapid rates making it necessary for them to chew constantly keeping their teeth filed. Not only can rodents cause grave financial damage with the things they choose to chew but they can also put your safety at risk by damaging important circuits in your car or short-circuiting your home and causing a fire, at least some rats are polite enough to pull the fire alarm.
Keep rodent from destroying your property and compromising your health by following these top 10 preventive steps, according to NPMA’s PestWorld.org:
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors and repair damaged screens
- Screen vents and openings to chimneys
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home, including areas where utilities and pipes enter the home, using caulk and/or steel wool, and don’t forget to seal up points of entry into the garage
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly
- Keep attics, basements and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry
- Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around the basement foundation and windows
- Eliminate all moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains that provide the perfect breeding site for pests
- Inspect items such as a boxes, grocery bags and other packages brought into the home or car
- Regularly inspect under the hood of vehicles for gnawed materials, nests, droppings or frayed wires
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and keep shrubbery trimmed and cut back from the house
Keep rodents from nesting in your walls by following Rose Pest Solutions’ preventative tips listed above. You can always call us with any questions 800-GOT-PESTS.
We are currently encouraging literacy among at-risk youth through community donations of used children’s books for our Books for Buckets campaign with Northwestern University Sports through Bernie’s Book Bank. Learn how to participate here!