Barbecues, bonfires, and swimming pools: my favorite summer smells. We’ve hit some rainy snags along the way, but summer is here. Enjoying the great outdoors can be a bit of a challenge when it comes to mosquitoes and flies but no pest will ruin a backyard party faster than a swarm of angry bees or wasps. With some helpful tips from Rose Pest Solutions, you can enjoy time in your yard without having to run from stinging insects.Like most pests, a strong offense is the best defense, a few preventative steps from Rose Pest Solutions will help you keep bees from claiming your yard for themselves.
Stinging insects are most active between summer and early fall. You can find them buzzing around your house among the flowers foraging for food. With half a million people per year seeking medical attention for bee stings, Rose knows that it is especially vital that while planning the party in your yard, you are sure to include stinger prevention in your prep-work. Spend more time enjoying your guests and less time worrying about getting stung.
Tips on Prevention
Rose Pest Solutions and The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) recommend the following steps on stinging insect prevention:
- Seal all visible cracks and crevices to keep stingers from moving indoors, and regularly inspect around the perimeter of the home for nests.
- During a picnic, cover all food when outside and be sure to keep tight fitting lids on trash bins.
- Drink out of clear containers, as stinging insects can sneak into aluminum cans unnoticed.
- If spending long periods of time outdoors, skip the perfume cologne or scented body wash in favor of unscented shampoos, soaps and lotions. Yellowjackets and other stinging insects are attracted to sweet-smelling fragrances.
- Wear closed-toe shoes, especially in grassy areas where hornets and other pests often nest.
- If you find a stinging insect nest on the property, don’t attempt to remove it on your own. Instead, contact a licensed pest control professional.
Following our stinger-preventive tips will help you to get the most out of your summer and keep you from becoming another stinging statistic in the emergency room. Remember to reach out to Rose if you need any help 800-GOT-PESTS.
For protection you need and peace of mind you deserve, get a free quote for our Healthy Home Maintenance Plus Program, it protects your home 365 days a year against wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, and 14 other common household pests, including termites. With satisfaction guaranteed, you have nothing to lose but the pests.