Over the last several years, an introduction of the brown marmorated stink bug from Asia has turned into full blown infestations in various regions of the US. Now, in order to prevent the invasive spread, Australia has mandated that all shipments coming into their country be fumigated with emergency regulations in place as of March 9th, 2015.
Australia Fumigation Requirements
Effective February 23rd, 2015, all cargo departing the US is required to be fumigated prior to shipping to Australia. This mandatory requirement is extended to ALL US PORTS beginning March 9th, 2015 and forward.
Types of cargo effected:
- automotive parts
- break bulk containers
- Must be treated prior to shipping
- Must have certificate of efficacy, specifying treatment completion
- Must pass on-arrival inspection as determined by the Australian Department of Agriculture
Mandatory treatments MUST BE applied to:
- all break bulk vehicles (including boats), machinery, automotive parts within 72 hours prior to loading
- containerized shipments of vehicles (including boats), machinery, automotive parts, and tires within 21 days prior to shipment providing containers are immediately sealed and arrive in Australia “seals intact”.
These emergency measures will be in place until at least the end of April 2015.
Brown Marmorated Stink Bug Fumigation
What is a stink bug anyways? The brown marmorated stink bug is an invasive species from Asia that arrived in Pennsylvania in the mid-90s. When they’re disturbed or smashed, they smell awful. They feed on fruit, leaves, and stems of plants. Stink bugs overwinter in wall voids, out of the elements and emerge in early spring and can often be found in clusters on the warm sides of homes and other structures basking in the sun. They’re not known to bite, but they destroy crops, which is why Australia is attempting to prevent this invasive spread we’ve already seen here in the US.
Container Fumigation Services
We offer container fumigation services at a convenient location at O’Hare Airport in Chicago (building 510 on the corner of Spine Road and Old Cargo Road just off of Mannheim Road).
The benefits of having Rose do your pre-shipment fumigation are:
- Customs and Border patrol (CBP) complaint site located at O’Hare Airport
- Both Meth-O Bromide and Sulfuryl Fluoride fumigates available
- Proof of fumigation certificate issued at time of product release
- Have done fumigations for Australia, South America, All of Europe, Asia, Canada, Israel, South Africa and many other countries
- Local Transporter available
- Multiple containers can be fumigated at the same time
*A call to schedule the service or quote request is required for all fumigation services. 800-GOT-PESTS.